Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Post 3

Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial 





I personally found that the power point was the most helpful resource. It not only defined peer editing but also gave a break down of all three steps. The slide show gave the reader examples on how to compliment and make suggestions  in a positive way. It also gave the reader a chance to practice each step such as giving compliments, suggestions, and corrections.

I think that peer editing can be very beneficial for both the student and the editor. At first I was a little unsure on how to correct someone else's work without coming off as being rude. After watching this slide show, I feel more comfortable about editing my peer's work because I know that it will be beneficial to the both of us. As a student need to become familiar with how to correct people's work in a positive way so when I do become a teacher I will have the experience in doing so. Having your work edited it always great because they could point out things that you had never noticed you were doing wrong. It is also good to get praise about your writing and see that what your peers are thinking about the same topic.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100% about it being difficult to critique someone's work on fear that I might come across overly critical and even rude. However, I have to keep in mind that constructive criticism is a means to challenge the receiver to learn from their mistakes and do better in the future. I think you did a really good job with getting your point across in an relatable way and the spelling within your blog. However, I did notice a couple of errors that will be easy to correct.

    "At first I was a little unsure on how to correct someone else's work without coming off as being rude." At first is a prepositional phrase which needs a comma after it.

    "As a student need to become familiar with how to correct people's work in a positive way so when I do become a teacher I will have the experience in doing so. Having your work edited it always great because they could point out things that you had never noticed you were doing wrong." The wording here is just a little difficult to understand. I think it is just the use of an incorrect word which I tend to do as well.

    On a side note, I will let you know that every blog we have needs to have a link providing the reader with access to the piece in which you are responding. I was made aware of this detail last week which has allowed me to correct for this week. This is how you create a link. Replace the title with
    name of website/video/blogpost You will replace URL address with the wesite address and name of website/video/blogpost with the title of the piece in which you are responding.

    How do you feel about critiquing now? Is it getting any easier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea, I forgot to mention that I saw where you work and I just want to say that I love some Lambert's Cafe. We like to take out of town family there as a special treat. My 13 year old son got so embarrassed on his birthday this year. A bachelorette party was eating lunch there, heard it was his birthday, and decided to give him a birthday kiss on the cheek. They were a beautiful group of ladies, but he refused to let them. We took a picture of them so that we could show it to him later to see what he missed out on. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, there were 4 things you were supposed to read/watch, but you've only talked about one of them here. I would call this blog post incomplete because of that. Go back and talk about some things you learned from Paige Ellis' blog post, the video What Is Peer Editing, and the Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 Mistakes video!

    Also, don't forget to link your readers to the videos and slideshows you're talking about. You should also start adding ALT/TITLE modifiers to your pictures.

    ReplyDelete